Monday, May 5, 2008

Franking my dear, I do give a D...

My campaign released this news release earlier today.

Saxon Challenges Opponents on Franking

ATHENS - Bobby Saxon, candidate for Georgia’s Tenth Congressional District, released the following statement in regards to his opponent’s regular use of franking.

“In light of the recent barrage of ‘franked’ mail from our Congressman and his recent campaign mailing about the promises he has kept, I have decided to make a promise of my own. When I get to Congress, I promise the citizens of this District that I will not waste their tax dollars by forcing them to fund my campaign.

“I will limit my franking privileges to two specific uses. First, I will ensure that my constituents are served properly and I will respond to their letters in a timely fashion. Secondly, I will provide a quarterly update on my legislative activities for the previous quarter and my planned actions for the next quarter.

“The Representative’s primary opponent has done a good job politicizing the issue in his favor, but he has made no specific pledge to limit his use of franking. Unlike the challenger, I’m not competing to be the next establishment politician with a personal agenda in Washington. As a soldier and an officer, I know the true meaning of responsibility, whether it’s to my men or to my country.

“I am now calling on my opponents to set aside partisan politics and join me in this pledge. The good citizens of our district deserve responsible representation. I’m willing to offer that. Are my opponents?”

Bobby Saxon is an Iraq War combat veteran and small business owner from Nicholson, Georgia. He is a Major in the Georgia Army National Guard and has served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Pentagon. Bobby attends Bethany United Methodist Church, is a member of the American Legion Post 56 in Jefferson, GA and the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2872 in Athens, GA.

No comments: